Follow up Care for a Root Canal
- Endodontic (Root Canal) treatment can take one, two, or three appointments depending on each case. It is possible to experience any of the following symptoms after one of these appointments: sensitivity to hot and/or cold, sensitivity to pressure, or possible
- It is difficult to predict which symptom, if any, you may experience and to what extent. In complicated cases, pain medication may be necessary.
- If you experience swelling, call our office. It may be necessary to prescribe an antibiotic for you.
- A temporary filling may be used to fill the tooth between visits.
- Be gentle on the tooth while eating until the final restoration is placed.
- During endodontic treatment the nerve, blood and nutrient supply to the tooth is removed. This will cause the tooth to become brittle and prone to fracturing which can result in the need to extract the tooth. In many cases a full coverage crown restoration (cap) may be recommended to prevent this from happening. A post may also be needed to improve the retention of the cap.