Restore Form and Function to a Damaged Tooth with a Crown
If you have a badly damaged, decayed, or missing tooth, you do not have to change the way you eat, speak, or laugh. You can enjoy a stronger, protected smile with a dental crown. Drs. Abid Paghdiwala can design and place custom dental crowns at his office in Levittown, PA. We can also help you choose a material and treatment plan that works best for your unique needs and budget. For patients with missing teeth, we can provide dental implant treatment from start to finish.
A Versatile Restoration
A dental crown is a cap-shaped restoration that covers the entire surface of the tooth. It can protect a damaged tooth, increase the lifetime and durability of a decayed tooth, or restore the strength of an otherwise weakened tooth. Crowns are custom-made to be highly lifelike and can also improve the aesthetics of a discolored or irregularly shaped tooth.
Specifically, crowns can address issues such as:
- Protect teeth that have large fillings
- Strengthen teeth that have become cracked or fractured
- Support teeth that are weakened from grinding, or bruxism
- Cover teeth that have been treated with root canal therapy
Using Crowns to Replace Missing Teeth
If you have even a single missing tooth, you know how much it can disrupt your daily life. The American College of Prosthodontists estimates that 120 million Americans are missing at least one tooth. While many patients go untreated, they are subject to misalignment, changes in speech, and other oral health issues stemming from missing teeth.
A dental crown supported by a dental implant can replace a missing tooth. Unlike dental bridges, these restorations leave your natural teeth intact and offer superior aesthetics.
Types of Crowns
Depending on the location of your affected tooth, your personal preferences, and your budget, we can fabricate a variety of dental crowns, including:
- Gold or alloy: These materials are incredibly strong and ideal for placement on back teeth, which are subject to excessive pressure. However, the color will not match the rest of your smile.
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal: PFM crowns are metal crowns that are covered in a layer of porcelain to look more aesthetically pleasing. They are very strong and durable. However, many patients notice a visible dark line between the gums and the porcelain as the gums naturally begin to recede.
- Porcelain: Porcelain crowns are considered the most lifelike choice in restorative dentistry. They are custom-made to match the color and sparkle of your natural teeth.
- Zirconia: This metal-free option is made from a strong, durable, glass-like material called zirconia. These crowns are widely considered the strongest and are ideal for covering back molars. They also look very natural.
Our doctors prefer all-porcelain crowns for the most lifelike results.
What to Expect During Treatment
After assessing the condition of your tooth, one of our doctors will reshape its structure to accommodate your new crown. We will then take impressions of your bite and send these to a lab. While your crown is being made, you will wear a temporary restoration to maintain your appearance and minimize sensitivity. Once your crown is ready, you will come back to our office. We will ensure that it fits seamlessly within your smile before cementing the restoration permanently into place.
Discover the Benefits of Crowns
If you have a fractured, decayed, or worn tooth, a dental crown can restore function, symmetry, and brilliance for years to come. Our doctors have many types of crowns available and offer flexible financing options to help you receive the level of care you deserve. Call us today at (215) 949-8000 or contact us online to schedule an appointment and learn more about your options.